Are we there Yeti? Thursday 1 Jul 21



Can’t complain about this passage so far. No energy laden squalls, almost flat seas, winds in the 8-15 range mostly and on the starboard beam.  We can’t seem to get any respect from the fish, but they do know we’re out here.  Probably blowing bubbles they’re laughing so hard.

Anyway, a few days ago I went down to the Westmarine in Honolulu with our new bestie Kurt from SV Hullabaloo.  We spent a day sorting out his air conditioner which was overheating due to low cooling water flow.  Turned out to be a variety of flow restriction problems on the inlet side all the way up to the aircon unit itself.  His wife Meg helped him finish up the job the next day - now they’re both tuned up on that system.  Before you know it they’ll know how to fix everything on their new boat, then they can go cruising with the confidence they can handle system failures.  Very important.  Learn to properly maintain, troubleshoot, diagnose and repair everything on the boat.  You’ll sleep better, keep more money in your pocket, and be able to help others in distress.

While we were in Westmarine I collected the fresh new Navionics database for the entire USA and Canada that Kurt had helped me order. Strolling up to the cash register I spied the display of Yeti cups and mugs, and decided to make an impulse purchase.  The Motley Fool got me interested in Yeti stock a while back but Isabel and I rarely spend on something as trick and name brandy as a Yeti thing, but there I was at the cash register with two ten ounce mugs with sippy cup lids thinking I’d surprise Isabel with a gift.  Oh yeah, and one for me too. Kurt grabbed them, declaring he could get a bigger discount and next thing you know he’s paid for them and won’t let me reimburse him.  Some people. . .

Anyway, a word about engineering excellence.  I’ve always thought Yeti accessories were ridiculously expensive - their coolers cost their weight in gold, and the ten ounce sippy cup mugs retailed about $18 each.  Isabel was a little stunned and perhaps even impressed when I got back to JollyDogs with them, and she immediately decided the light green one was hers.  We’ve been using them for a couple of weeks now, and are happy to report that they were worth the expense.  We’ll get even with you Kurt, and it might involve a bit too much Sailor Jerry’s Rum.  Anyway, with the sippy cup lid on a cup of coffee stays plenty hot but it also cools at an ideal rate for morning coffee consumption.  Sipping and enjoying, not swilling like I’m used to, or drinking lukewarm coffee like Isabel has done for years.  I’m all for savoring my hot beverage, but it doesn’t taste as good when tepid.  Anyway, I’m firmly convinced that the brilliant thermodynamicist hot beverage engineers at Yeti have designed the ideal coffee sipping device, allowing me to savor my warming hot potable at my leisure, and not feeling rushed to guzzle it before it becomes tepid.  The second cup of coffee comes with a chunk of Isabel’s wonderful fruit cake which is a killer passage treat - only time she makes it.  Thank you Behan Gifford of SV Totem for that killer recipe and cooking lesson.

And another thing.  Idahoan brand instant mashed potatoes are the absolute bomb. Those crap instant mash taters we had to purchase in French Polynesia can’t hold a candle to Idahoans, and they come in a package perfect for two folks AND in a variety of tasty flavors.

So there you are.  Get yourself a Yeti cup and some Idahoan instant mashed taters and learn to take care of everything on your boat.  If you’re lucky maybe Behan will teach you about making fruit cake.  Just remember to buy lots of Sailor Jerry rum!  You’ll be a better cruiser for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment