Personal space on a tiny boat



6º 43.021s 133º 20.401w

Sat May 04 2019

I don’t get the tiny home movement. To begin with, they look like little house trailers anyway, so why not call them that? My bigger gripe is that if I want a nap, I don’t want to have to transform the dining table into a bed. Call me cranky.
JollyDogs is a 38’ long catamaran with 21’ beam. The port hull (or ama) has a master head aft, chart table w/ radio station center, and master cabin forward. The starboard hull has a guest cabin with ensuite head forward, galley center, and 3/4 berth aft. The bridge deck is all saloon, with a rotating table and wrap around settee. We’ve got a capacious cockpit (perfect for a yoga workout) and the forward decks are equipped with trampolines. Lots of space. Lots of places to be. Seems big.
Try living with your spouse in a space this size for days, weeks, months, years. Pretty quickly the concept of personal space and a bit of privacy become rather important.
Isabel and I are both gregarious people, nevertheless we each need time alone, time away from one another to regroup, repair, refresh. Sometimes if there’s simply no way to stay out of sight of each another, a spot has to be designated as “if I’m sitting here, simply pretend you don’t see me, and don’t speak to me. Leave me the hell alone”. It’s important.

No comments:

Post a Comment