Stupid flying fish!



3º 50.684s 128º 19.066w

Thu May 02 2019

Dead fish on the foredeck. Fish scales all over the cockpit. I’m getting tired of tossing these smelly buggers overboard.
At least I haven’t had the pleasure of one hitting me in the face. Yet.
Flying fish are pretty cool to watch; we often see them launch and skim the water’s surface for up to 50 meters or more. Not sure why, but perhaps the pressure wave of the hull coming towards them is reminiscent of something farther up the food chain.
We’re smiting a boatload of them tonight. They’re littering the deck along with a few little squids. Like a mass suicide, the Jonestown massacre at sea! Not something I’m willing to harness up and put myself at risk to deal with in the middle of the night, but they will be dispatched after daylight when other crew are awake and about. Gotta be careful with the little squidlets - handle them roughly and they leak ink on the gelcoat.
Smelly little buggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment