Random musings on life and sailing



7º 05.101s 134º 24.456w

Sat May 04 2019

Any of you old enough to remember that Saturday Night Live sketch called “Deep Thoughts With Jack Handy?” I think that was the name. . .

Anyway, time at sea, away from all the noise of “real life” has been quite a relief. For whatever reason, I’ve felt motivated to record a few of my thoughts and shamelessly share them with this small community. A few close friends have emailed, noting the enjoyment of digesting my random rants while sipping their morning coffee. I’m pleased to be of service, but expect to look for other distractions once we make landfall. But then again, who knows?

While certainly no movie or music buff, it’s odd how many old movie lines or song lyrics have been flowing through my head. I really do enjoy both artforms. We can thank high capacity hard drives, various video and audio compression formats, and mostly the Amazon Kindle for keeping us educated, enriched and amused in the middle of nowhere. I do miss my Motley Fool podcasts, but they’ll be back eventually.

We don’t have room for music CD’s, movie DVD’s or bunches of books. If it doesn’t fit on a hard drive, thumb drive or Kindle, it gets left behind. Available space and weight capacity is devoted to food provisions (well, and maybe just a little tequila), tools, equipment and machinery spares, and safety gear that we really hope we never use. We’ve also got a pretty comprehensive first aid kit and fishing lure selection, along with two spear guns. Gotta eat, need protein, gotta fix or maintain all that mechanical and electrical equipment that enables us to live. Imagine the watermaker packing it up when we’re two weeks from everywhere.

Oh yeah, a bit of room for clothes, but how much space can a few pairs of flip flops and swimming trunks take up anyway?

“Two weeks from everywhere! Well ain’t this place a geographical oddity?” I just love that line George Klooney utters in the movie Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? I’ll watch anything the Coen brothers crank out, or Quentin Tarantino for that matter, and you might be surprised to know that at the tender age of 60, Lady Gaga is one of my favorite artists. So is Taylor Swift. They’re thoughtful women with something to say.

All this entertainment at my fingertips, and about all I want to do in my free time is look around us at the vast open sea and capture my fleeting thoughts before they’re lost forever. I share some. As Isabel’s dad Paul might say, “why not”?

No comments:

Post a Comment