Test and Evaluation Our Way, Part 1



8º 27.470s 137º 42.449w

Mon May 06 2019

Having abandoned the business of helicopter flight test to younger, smarter, and more energetic kids, I’ve taken up a new hobby.

Flip-flop test engineer.

Isabel has joined me in the very important endeavor. We also evaluate stand up paddleboards (SUP’s), swimming costumes (yes, that is what proper English folks call them), wide brimmed hats, factor 50 UV lotion, clothing garments claiming to be optimized for hot and humid environs, sun glasses (sunnies) of course, and anything else that might contribute to a more comfortable and functional lifestyle.

I complained to my brother a couple years ago that I was wearing out flip flops and swim trunks at an alarming rate. He shouted into the phone, “I don’t want to hear it!” Not my fault he didn’t want to retire yet. . .

Anyway, in this installment of “T&E Our Way” we’ll discuss the venerable flip-flop, the standard foot wear for the cruising lifestyle. There are cruisers who deem to be seen in public wearing those clunky looking Crocs; Rich Boren of CruiseRO Water and La Paz Cruisers Supply comes to mind, but for the most part flip-flops are the uniform of the day if footwear is even required.

Isabel and I have spent a stupid amount of money on flip-flops in the last few years, and we have some observations to offer.

Olokai flip flops (we bought ours at REI) cost a lot, around $65 when we bought ours, and they freakin’ fall apart. Isabel had a pair only a few months, wore them only a few times in fact, and when we returned them at REI (satisfaction guaranteed, by golly) the customer service guy actually accused her of leaving them out in the sun. REALLY? We are in the sun constantly, and dirty flops end up on the back deck so we don’t track grit and dirt into the cockpit. Isabel gave him “the look” and he begrudgingly refunded her money.

I bought mine through Amazon and got a bit more life out of them but they still exhibited the same catastrophic failure mode. Waste of cash.

Costco sells some pretty robust flip-flops for under $15. They’re ugly, but not really noticeable when I’m wearing them. Hard to separate the wheat from the chaff, as they say. . . anyway the soles lack the padding my tender feet desire, so not my first choice regardless of the value proposition.

Keen used to make a great flop with an enclosed big toe area. I still have a pair and I only wear them on the boat. Since purchasing them I’ve left a lot less toe meat on various cheek blocks and cleats. I’m not sure if they’re still in production.

I used to have a pair of Reefs, the fave of our superyacht crew pals. They were great! Then some moron in marketing decided it would be a great idea to put bottle openers in the soles. Not only would I never let a pair near our gel coat, but what idiot would want to open their beer with a shoe that probably has remnants of dog crap embedded in the sole? Not this idiot!

I think Isabel and I have both decided we like our Croc flops the best. They come in lots of colors which makes her happy. They cost around $35, which makes me happy. Everybody’s happy! They wear really well, don’t mind sunshine or salt water, clean up easily, and are really comfy.

So there you have it. Go get yourself some Croc flip-flops. You might find a smokin’ deal online or at DSW stores, or you might just have to break down and go the mall.

You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment